Ever wondered what it's like to work at EE HQ? We asked Becky, the newest team member and head PR bod, just what she has reckoned to her first few weeks here. Luckily, she refrained from saying "you don't have to be mad to work here. But it helps!" because that would have seen her fired immediately. Over to Becky! -------
I met Eclectic Eccentricity’s Lucy, firstly when I was a freelance journalist writing for a Jewellery magazine and then as an exhibitor at my wedding fair events back in 2011 and have always felt very connected to the brand. Kinda like, if I had the know-how and skill to make jewellery, this is probably how I would make it too!
As the fates allowed I moved from East London to Norwich, where EE is based and we began working on other projects together, such as the styling of the Lookbook for their latest range, Heroine. We met in a cafe to discuss the shoot and for the first time had some proper time to chat and realised we had been talking solidly for an hour and just ‘got’ each each - we barely needed to look at visual references, we understood each other inspirations and aesthetic loves and likes as well as having a good old rant about the challenges of running your own business and laughing at the same crappy jokes. Basically if it had been a date, we would be planning the wedding right about now.
Seeing as it wasn’t a date, we have joined forces in a far more conventional way, in short - I am now the new PR person at EE - Hello! *waves*
I love the brand even more now that I get to see it from the inside, a cute office amidst the antique shops, warehouse studios, creative coffee shops and Indian supermarkets that make up my favourite part of town. You can watch each piece being made while we listen to 6Music and take inspiration from the coolest design and fashion magazines for ideas and we each have our own succulents to take care of. I also have a dinosaur on my desk with a speech bubble saying “Oh Pretty Things” so it really couldn’t get much better. Oh and all the while I am working promise!
My highlights of the first month at EE have been:
*sending a pretty parcel of goodies to Lana Del Ray. YES! Lana Del Ray. Enough said. We luuurve her.
* Working through ideas for the new LookBook shoot which will be out in the new year, as well as a dedicated bridal photoshoot which is massively exciting. Shooting the Heroine range was a lot of fun so am really looking forward to getting creative with the team again.
* Hearing back from excited journalists and bloggers when I send them info on the new collection. PR can be a very fluffy world so it’s always good to have real faith in the brand and product you are sending information about.
* Collecting images of Abi Alton wearing EE pieces week after week on X Factor to send out to press.
* Talking to lots of exciting creative people and companies about collaborations for the up coming photo shoots.
* Learning about astronomy, sea birds, Paeleobiology and art history while working - there are some very intelligent conversations flying round this office. Of course there was also the story told proudly by chief maker Tom, who threw a tissue box towards the bin, which then rebounded off Lucy’s head and still made it to its target. So it’s a mixed bag.
* Seeing the first pieces of coverage coming through!
* A chocolate and coca-cola flavoured cake Alice, our wholesale girl, brought into the office for a meeting.
* Looking at Cat Apocalypse postcards by Unusual Cards bought by the girls at while they were exhibiting at Renegade Craft Fair.
Thanks Becky! We like having her around. She's pretty cool....